# 1

Parliamentary Decision on Disposal of Previous OCS PORTSEA Environment

The following information was taken direct from the Ministerial Media list Wed 12 Mar 2003 - for information to all previous OCS Portsea members.

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARLSEC 19/03 Wednesday 12 March 2003


Point Nepean decision - benefit for
all Victorians


Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence Fran Bailey today
announced the Commonwealth's decision on the disposal of the 311
hectares of Defence-owned land at Point Nepean.

"The needs of Australia's Defence Force change over time and the reality
is that the ADF has not required this property since 1998," said Ms
Bailey.

"The business of Defence is providing Australia's national security, not
holding and maintaining properties surplus to its needs.

"The decision to dispose of all 311 hectares at Point Nepean was made
more than 12 months ago and an extensive community consultation process
was conducted by Parsons Brinckerhoff to determine acceptable future
uses by the community, and published in a Draft Master Plan," said Ms
Bailey.

"I would like to thank the members of the Community Reference Group and
the Planning Reference Group for their untiring and committed work."

As a result of the Draft Master Plan, a compilation of all ideas and
recommendations from members who participated in the community planning
and heritage reference groups, the Commonwealth has decided to:-

? Gift 205 hectares of native bushland to the State Government. The
clearance of unexploded ordnance on this land will be paid for by
Defence.

? Deed in perpetuity 10-20 hectares of land, known as Police Point and
surrounding land to the Mornington Peninsula Council as public open
space.

? Offer the remaining approximately 90 hectares of land comprising a
number of heritage buildings as a priority sale to the State Government
at market value. The Commonwealth will spend $4 million on the
refurbishment of the heritage buildings.

This offer is valid for one month from today.


This decision by the Commonwealth ensures:

* that environment and heritage values are protected;
* for the first time there will be public open space; and
* this land will not be sub-divided into residential developments.

"Additionally the Commonwealth will amend the current month to month
licence of the Friends of the Quarantine Museum to a three year
licence," said Ms Bailey.

"The Commonwealth has previously offered the majority of this Point
Nepean Defence land to the Victorian State Government on two occasions,"
she said.

"The Commonwealth has listened and acted on the recommendations of the
Draft Master Plan," said Ms Bailey. "We hope the Victorian State
Government will also respond positively.

"If the Victorian State Government rejects the Commonwealth's offer of a
priority sale, the approximately 90 hectares will be placed on the
market for sale by tender in keeping with the Draft Master Plan's
recommendations of no sub-division for residential developments.

"I would like to thank the Mornington Peninsula Shire and my colleagues,
Greg Hunt MP, Member for Flinders and Bruce Billson MP, Member for
Dunkley who have made such a sustained commitment to achieving this good
result for all Victorians."

Media contact:

Matthew Allen Mob 0407 100 521

[Thanks to Richard McDonagh (Jun '85) for the notification]